A great day for the Whites, but unfortunately the B’s couldn’t make it 4 from 4 on the day.  We played very well in the first half, but unfortunately some errors against the run of play caused us to be 2-0 down inside half an hour.

We were a bit light on this week, with Max taking exams, Alex called up to the A’s and Joe still out with injury.  Dan Ong came back from his Sydney walkabout and replaced Max in defence, while newbie Rory replaced Alex on the wing.

15 minutes in, we lost the ball in midfield inside our half.  Mercedes knocked a ball into the box which Kirsten skewed up in the air.  Attempting to follow up with a header, he got some of the ball, but unfortunately also knocked over the player.  Penalty says Dino. 1-0 to Callum’s left.

About 5 minutes later, Mercedes had the ball down the left, and passed in to their striker about 25yards out.  He turned Dan, and with no one backing Dan up, the striker had a 1-1 with Callum which he took just inside the box. 2-0.

Tough to take, but heads didn’t drop.  We sustained our pressure up front, and (sh*t I can’t remember…) a through ball to Ollie got him 1 on 1 with the keeper which he slotted. 2-1

Shortly afterwards Rory put in a cross from the right which went over everyone except Ellory at the back post.  He brought it down and knocked it past the keeper from 8 yards for 2-2.

More good play up front was not rewarded with a third: another cross from the right was knocked out of the box, but straight to Lewis in the middle.  He lined up from about 25 yards and sweetly struck the ball towards the top corner.  Unlike the C’s match to follow where the Mercs keeper basically stood aside to usher a drive down the middle of the goal to go in, the B’s keeper pulled off a top save to keep the match at 2-2.  Lewis still yet to score this year with an actual shot 😉

We weren’t finished with the half though, and were awarded a free kick about 30 yards out on the right.  Alan chipped the ball into the  penalty spot, where Ellory arrived to head the ball into the corner for his brace. 3-2 up and the comeback was complete just before half time.

Unfortunately there’s not a huge amount to say about the second half (mostly as I ran the line for most of it, and was too distracted even to yell at you lot). We had our chances early, and played well for about the first 20 minutes.  After receiving an absolute bollocking at half time though (in front of few shocked children) Mercedes controlled the last third of the match.  With about 15 to go, we failed to close down the ball, and a well hit shot looped over Callum from about 30 yards to make it 3-3.  No blame on Callum, it was a perfect shot.  More needed from the six at the back who didn’t concentrate for the full 90 minutes.

Three all it remained and while we should be quite rightly upset to let the lead slip, we were also lucky to hold on for a draw.  Fitness and concentration levels are perhaps not good enough at the moment.

For the third match in a row, Callum had an impressive and confident 90 minutes.  Alan and Lewis picked up 3 and 2 points from the ref respectively, and Rory had a good 60 minutes on debut.  Well done to captain Ellory who is back in form with 3 important goals in 2 matches.  James lead well from the back.

That’s it.

PS. If you can elaborate on the goals, comment here and I’ll add to the report…