University Soccer Club


Round 1 – 14th April 2012

M.A Hawks (4) vs (1) Adelaide University

It was a
day of mixed results for the Blacks, but the Uni A team lost decisively to the
Hawks best 11. The 4-1 scoreline was, perhaps, not a completely accurate
reflection of the action but M.A Hawks deserved the victory overall. There’s
clearly plenty of room for improvement across the board for the Uni teams but
there were some promising moments in all games and Michael and Shaun got their
names on the score sheet for the As and Bs respectively.


Line up                                 Bench

            Russ                                          Cameron
            Tim                                           Ryan
            Chris                                        Terry


The weather was conducive to some great football at the Hawks home
ground but the pitch was a talking point pre-kickoff. The hard surface might
make bouncing balls tricky to deal with and make it harder to get the ball down
and play short passes. Time would tell. The game kicks off and whether it’s the
surface or early season nerves, neither team can really get the ball down to
play. The first free-kick of the game goes to the Blacks and Greg launches a
free kick into the M.A. penalty area which is cleared with ease. 6′ minutes in
and Hawks go ahead as a clearance is gathered just in front of the halfway
line. The Hawks midfielder skies a ball towards the Blacks goal were it is met
well by the Hawks forward, with the resulting header leaving Andy stranded as
the ball settles in the far corner of the net. 1-0 Hawks. Uni is
resolute and only a minute later, a long throw and a flick on gives Russ the
chance to even the score, but the close range effort is saved well by the Hawks
keeper. The close chance leads to a solid 10 minutes of possession for the
Blacks, who look to be beginning to find their feet. The chances aren’t
forthcoming but there’s certainly more passes to feet. Against the run of play,
Andy is caught out by a bouncing ball played from inside the Hawks own half.
The awkward bounce is mis-judged by the Blacks keeper and that makes it 2-0.
Not 5 minutes later there’s a great passage of play from M.A. Hawks when a
cutback finds a forward with a chance on goal that is put over the bar, it
could easily have been 3-0. Approaching half-time and the scoreline and lack of
fluidity from the Blacks is damning but Barry’s hard work is paying off in the
50-50s. Moments later and Hawks are awarded a spot kick for an infringement by
Tim in the penalty area. The penalty is converted and it’s 3-0 Hawks.
The penalty resulted, again, from a long bouncing ball which wasn’t dealt with
by the Blacks defense. Half-time and the Blacks have it all to do.


M.A. Hawks (3) vs. (0) Adelaide University


The second half is minutes
old when Andy is forced into a great save from a well placed curling effort
from Hawks. The Blacks will hope that the early effort isn’t a sign of things
to come in the second half. Up the other end now, and half-time substitute
Ryan’s on target shot is blocked. The shot from the resulting deflection is put
wide by Adam. The half-time spray from coach Dave Baker looks to have had an
effect here as the Blacks come out sharper than they looked going into
half-time. A long throw and penalty box scrap sees Chris make a sneaky effort
to beat the Hawks keeper at his near post but the shot is gathered with
relative ease. Possession is 50-50 at this point but the Blacks are creating
chances as Mike’s headed effort from a long ball is on target, but saved
comfortably. Coming up to the 15′ minute mark now and Ryan beats a man
to find space on the edge of the area, only to put his shot over the bar.
Robbie goes into the book for a late challenge, but it’s only yellow from the
Uni mid-fielder. 24′ minutes in and the Blacks have conceded a free kick
on the bi-line which results in the Hawks extending the lead to 4-0. The
lofted ball into the box forces a spilled save from Andy, which is calmly
dispatched by the Hawks player at the back post to, more or less, put the game
to bed. The Blacks look despondent as they line up to start play from the
kick-off for the 5th time today. Substitutes follow for both sides
in the minutes following the goal as Greg makes way for Terry. Ryan’s having a
great game off the bench with the Blacks forward beating players again to force
a save from the opposing keeper and then hitting a well taken free kick into
the post. The resulting scramble should’ve seen the Blacks peg one back but
somehow the M.A. Hawks clear the loose ball off the goal line. It hits the 79′
of and Ryan goes close again with a volley at the back post. Nothing
is going the Blacks way today as the Hawks keeper again gathers the shot. The
Uni coach’s face is a picture of frustration at this stage. Just as it looks
like Uni will go home completely empty handed, the second penalty of the day
goes to the Uni for a handball. Michael makes no mistake with the finish and
it’s 4-1. It’s small consolation but the Blacks deserve a goal. There’s
half-chances both ways as the finishing is not top draw from either side, but
the drive is definitely waning as the referee blasts on his whistle to signify
the end of the match.


The A’s certainly didn’t
put their best foot forward today as the first round of the new season comes to
an end. The second half display was better from Uni, with Ryan in particular
looking dangerous coming off the bench, but there is much work to be done. The
4 goals conceded follows an unfortunate trend for the Uni recently as the last
clean sheet was now quite some time ago.



M.A. Hawks (4) vs. Adelaide University (1)

M.A. Hawks Bs (0) vs. Adelaide University Bs (1)

M.A. Hawks Cs (0) vs. Adelaide University Cs (0)


T. Gissing