The Blacks were competitive for large periods of the match but ultimately lapses in concentration proved costly.


SAASL Division 3 Round 6

Adelaide University Black 1-2 Monarchs

Goal: Miro Vujica


The weather was volatile at the Blacks West Beach home ground, but this did not deter supporters from enjoying a barbeque whilst watching the match.

The first notable action occurred 16 minutes into the match as Blacks player Reeve Gillan made an interception in the midfield.

However, Gillan’s touch took the ball away from him and he made a sliding tackle in an attempt to regain possession but fouled his opponent and the Blacks player received a yellow card.

At 25 minutes, Monarchs played a long ball out to the right and their winger tried a cross but the ball swung towards goal as Blacks ‘keeper Jacob Davey’s attempted save tipped the ball onto the post and into the net to give the lead to the away team.

The goal represented a turning point for Monarchs after an even first half hour.

The Blacks responded to the goal with some interplay between Kevin Ugalde and Miro Vujica but no meaningful chance was created.

At 39 minutes, the Blacks attackers were playing the ball around the edge of the box before striker Vujica shot the ball across the face of goal.

Just before the end of the half, Joe Henderson stood over the ball for a freekick before driving it low but the Monarchs ‘keeper made an easy save.

The first half ended 1-0 to Monarchs.

Early in the second half, a defensive error led to a clear chance for Monarchs, but Davey put his body in the way to protect his goal.

At 56 minutes, another Blacks defensive error led to a chance on the left for Monarchs but this time they scored as their player slotted the ball in at Davey’s near post for 2-0.

The rain poured down thick and fast as the half went on.

The next chance for Monarchs came from a freekick as Davey nudged the ball onto the bar but it ended up at the feet of a Monarchs player who shot in the box and the goal was given.

However, the linesman raised his flag and after discussion with the referee, the decision was reversed.

The offside decision kept the Blacks in the match.

At 68 minutes, Monarchs had another shot from outside the box but Davey caught the ball with ease.

Two minutes later, a counterattack led to interplay between the Blacks forwards which culminated in substitute Reece Pruis toe-poking the ball past the on-rushing ‘keeper but to the wrong side of the post.

The Blacks took advantage of this momentum as Pruis played a through-ball over the Monarchs defence to Vujica, who nudged it past the ‘keeper to render the score 2-1.

At 77 minutes, Blacks attacker Mitch Coleman ran on to a 50/50 ball bouncing away from him but the ‘keeper narrowly reached the ball first.

In the second half, Monarchs showed their agitation when verbal altercations ensued between their attacking midfielder and his support on the sidelines.

Late in the match, a Monarchs midfielder found a pass to their attacker for a one-on-one opportunity but ‘keeper Davey wasn’t needed as the linesman raised his flag to indicate offside.

In the last minutes of the match, Monarchs played the ball around in their final third before flicking it through the Blacks defence to a free man, but he was once again offside.

In the 90th minute, a looping ball ended with Vujica, who attempted to score with an outstretched leg, but his shot passed across the face of goal.

The match ended 2-1 to Monarchs.

‘It was frustrating because a lack of concentration and discipline let the team down despite playing well for most of the game’, Blacks coach Mohan Karthigeyan said after the match.


Main photo: William Chau